- How To Go On a Thai Cleanse
- Celebrity Chefs Take Up Residence in Yosemite National Park
- This Chef Fuels His Cycling Obsession with Ham-and-Egg Sticky Rice Energy Bars
- David Chang Pigs Out on Barley
- Eric Ripert’s Breadbasket Philosophy
- Chef José Andrés Thinks Beets Are Sexy
- Star Chefs to Invade Black Seed, Introduce Squid Ink Bagels and Seaweed Cream Cheese
- How Sweden's Maverick Chef is Reinventing Nordic Cooking
- Toro Will Take Over Seamore’s on April Fools' Day
- Dominique Ansel Unveils the Blooming Marshmallow
Los Angeles restaurateurs Zoe Nathan and Josh Loeb have created the platonic ideal of the neighborhood restaurant. Here's what they cook at home in Santa Monica Canyon.
Los Angeles restaurateurs Zoe Nathan and Josh Loeb have created the platonic ideal of the neighborhood restaurant—casual and unpretentious, as befitting the Santa Monica beach vibe, but perfect in every detail.
The couple is known for hearty, market-driven food, like the clam-and-mussel posole verde at Rustic Canyon (recently energized by the arrival of F&W Best New Chef 2008 Jeremy Fox), and the maple-bacon biscuits at Huckleberry Café and Bakery (where Zoe, a gifted pastry chef, creates incredible sweet and savory dishes). Zoe’s cookbook, Huckleberry, comes out in the fall, just before she and Josh launch a wine bar called Esters, with Fox in the kitchen, and a Southeast Asian brasserie, Cassia, with F&W Best New Chef 2012 Bryant Ng.
At home in Santa Monica Canyon, hanging out with Josh and their two kids, Zoe prepares the kind of satisfying food that makes the family’s restaurants so good. At 6:30 a.m., she and three-year-old Milo run outside to bring her fresh corn muffins to the garbage collectors—a weekly ritual. One recent afternoon, Zoe stood barefoot in front of the industrial-size oven that Josh’s parents once used (he grew up here). With newborn daughter Tallula swaddled to her chest, Zoe roasted tomatoes for the open-face sandwiches she likes to smother in melted Gruyère. At the counter, Josh helped Milo frost a chocolate cake with buttercream and cocoa nibs. As Josh says, “The only way we can do what we love is to do it together.”
Roasted Tomato Croques with Pickled Peppers
Pickled Summer Peppers
Fresh Corn Muffins
Nutty Granola with Strawberry Compote and Greek Yogurt
Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Buttercream and Cocoa Nibs
Mint Iced Tea with Cocoa Nib Syrup
Vegetarian Chili with Barley, Quinoa and Beans