- 9 Brunch Appetizers for a Blow-Out Weekend Bash
- 5 Clever Ways to Cook with Grapes
- 3 Genius Ideas for Using Hot Sauce
- DIY Cured Salmon
- All You Need for a Boozy and Bacony DIY Brunch
- 7 Irresistible Rhubarb Desserts
- 7 Killer Spanish-Style Barbecue Dishes
- 7 Gorgeous Summer Salads
- 5 Fast Fruit Desserts You Should Definitely Grill Right Now
- 6 Foods for Dedicated Garlic Lovers
An 80-year-long copyright nightmare has finally come to an end: "Happy Birthday to You" is now in the public domain.
An 80-year-long copyright nightmare has finally come to an end: "Happy Birthday to You" is now in the public domain after a federal court judge in Los Angeles ruled that the copyright applied to a particular arrangement of the song, rather than the song itself. That means TV shows, movies and, most important, restaurants can finally put the song to use. Hopefully we’ll see a big drop-off in strange happy birthday chants shouted out by restaurant waitstaff. Here, seven terrific birthday cake recipes to celebrate the momentous occasion.
1. Baked Alaska Birthday Cake
This ultimate birthday cake features three flavors of ice cream, moist chocolate cake, nutty ganache and fluffy meringue.
2. Chocolate Blackout Cake
Pastry star Gale Gand layers her phenomenal, high-rising cake with an intensely chocolaty custard and coats it with cake crumbs.
3. Caramel Layer Cake
This impressive cake is encased in a fudge-like caramel frosting.
4. Party Cake with Whipped Cream and Raspberries
You can adorn this deliciously moist cake in almost any way.
5. Marble Cake with Chocolate Frosting
This layer cake recipe combines moist, spongy cake and frosting that’s a perfect balance between sweet and buttery.
6. Crunchy Milk Chocolate–Peanut Butter Layer Cake
The genius of this cake is its extraordinarily crunchy filling, made with almonds, salted peanuts, creamy peanut butter, chocolate and Rice Krispies.
7. Six-Layer Coconut Cake with Passion Fruit Filling
This towering dessert is made up of layers of supermoist, almost pudding-like coconut cake spread with tangy passion fruit curd, then topped with whipped cream and crispy flakes of toasted coconut.