- The Best Wines to Pair with Mac and Cheese
- A Chardonnay for Relaxing on the Couch
- 3 Bottles From France’s Best Value Region
- 5 Wines to Pair with Roast Chicken
- A Red That Can Pair with Asparagus
- A Fruity, Floral Red from Spain’s Ribeira Sacra
- 3 Best-Ever Sweater-Weather Reds
- A Winemaker’s Secret Inexpensive Go-To Sparkler
- The Wine Equivalent of Smelling Salts
- A Loire Chenin Blanc that Over-delivers
This is a food-friendly red that has some character. It's earthy with notes of dark brambly fruit and dried herbs.
Here, wine experts reveal their favorite bottles costing less than $17. Many of the selections are lesser known but absolutely worth the search.
Who: Hilary Prescott-Severino, Wine Buyer, Cure in Pittsburgh, PA
Why: "This is a food-friendly red that has some character. It's earthy with notes of dark brambly fruit and dried herbs. It pairs especially well with grilled foods, which is our favorite way to cook and entertain at home," says Prescott-Severino. The ‘we' here includes her husband, Cure's chef Justin Severino. "Think grilled pork (we eat a lot of pork)......and charred grilled radicchio and squash."
Related: Slow Cooker Barbecued Pulled Pork
Kristin Donnelly is a former Food & Wine editor and cofounder of Stewart & Claire, an all-natural line of lip balms made in Brooklyn.