- The Best Wines to Pair with Mac and Cheese
- A Virginia Chardonnay That's Amazing with Seafood
- A Fruity, Floral Red from Spain’s Ribeira Sacra
- A Brilliant Biodynamic White from Oregon
- Last-Gasp-of-Winter White
- A Terrific Chianti Classico (With Some Age)
- A $10 Red Made By a Tuscan Superstar
- 3 Best-Ever Sweater-Weather Reds
- In Defense of Cabernet Franc
- A Go-To Cocktail Party Red
This is a food-friendly red that has some character. It's earthy with notes of dark brambly fruit and dried herbs.
Here, wine experts reveal their favorite bottles costing less than $17. Many of the selections are lesser known but absolutely worth the search.
Who: Hilary Prescott-Severino, Wine Buyer, Cure in Pittsburgh, PA
Why: "This is a food-friendly red that has some character. It's earthy with notes of dark brambly fruit and dried herbs. It pairs especially well with grilled foods, which is our favorite way to cook and entertain at home," says Prescott-Severino. The ‘we' here includes her husband, Cure's chef Justin Severino. "Think grilled pork (we eat a lot of pork)......and charred grilled radicchio and squash."
Related: Slow Cooker Barbecued Pulled Pork
Kristin Donnelly is a former Food & Wine editor and cofounder of Stewart & Claire, an all-natural line of lip balms made in Brooklyn.