- A Côtes du Rhône for Stews and Roasts
- A Malbec That Speaks French
- 5 Wines to Pair with Roast Chicken
- A Stunning $17 White Burgundy
- Lively and Smoky: Red Muscadet
- The German Wine You Probably Never Heard of, but Should Be Drinking
- 4 Wines to Pair with Roasted Vegetables
- A Red That Can Pair with Asparagus
- A Fruity and Savory Under-$15 Cabernet
- A Sicilian Red Wine with a Do-Gooder Story
This is a food-friendly red that has some character. It's earthy with notes of dark brambly fruit and dried herbs.
Here, wine experts reveal their favorite bottles costing less than $17. Many of the selections are lesser known but absolutely worth the search.
Who: Hilary Prescott-Severino, Wine Buyer, Cure in Pittsburgh, PA
Why: "This is a food-friendly red that has some character. It's earthy with notes of dark brambly fruit and dried herbs. It pairs especially well with grilled foods, which is our favorite way to cook and entertain at home," says Prescott-Severino. The ‘we' here includes her husband, Cure's chef Justin Severino. "Think grilled pork (we eat a lot of pork)......and charred grilled radicchio and squash."
Related: Slow Cooker Barbecued Pulled Pork
Kristin Donnelly is a former Food & Wine editor and cofounder of Stewart & Claire, an all-natural line of lip balms made in Brooklyn.