- Five Essential Tips for Feeding Your Dad on Father's Day
- 10 Healthy Foods You Should Definitely Eat While Watching the Tour de France
- How to Cure Salmon in 30 Minutes
- Tasty (Mis)Adventures in Vegetarian Red Wine Pairings
- Fast Pan-Fried Chicken for Derby Day
- The Future of Ketchup
- Fast and Flavorful Miso-Ginger Chicken
- Outstanding Triple-Decker Lemongrass Pork Burgers
- 13 Ways to Make a Bad Burger Great
- Nicholas Elmi's Best Five-Ingredient Recipes
Chicken Dance spotlights a fantastic Food & Wine chicken recipe every day.
© Frances Janisch
Fried Chicken Sandwich
The fourth Earl of Sandwich, John Montagu, accomplished many things during his tenure, including funding Captain Cook’s discovery of the Sandwich Islands (now known as Hawaii). But he is most credited with inventing the sandwich. A gambler, Montagu would supposedly miss formal meals while occupied at the card table, and order servants to fetch him a piece of salt beef between two slices of toasted bread. National Sandwich Day honors Montagu's birthday on November 3, 1718. Thankfully, we’ve come up with a lot more creative fillings since then, as in this panko-crusted fried chicken sandwich topped with artichoke tapenade.