- 5 Classic German Christmas Cookies
- Holiday Cookie Tips From 5 Superstar Pastry Chefs
- 5 Wine Pairings for Your Holiday Cookies
- A Crash Course in Cookie Baking
- Video: A Classic Italian Bakery’s Festive Christmas Cookies
- Facebook’s Holiday Bake-Off Features Live Demos from Curtis Stone and Marcela Valladolid
- 7 Cookies You Can Make in Under an Hour
- How to Package Cookies for Fast and Beautiful Gifts
- 5 Alt Mix-ins for Your Holiday Cookies
- 7 Crazy Cookie Records to Break This Holiday Season
Move over milk, cookies have a new BFF (beverage friend forever): beer. Not only is there a new book out that pairs cookie recipes with beers, but also, for the second year, Flying Dog is releasing a limited edition 12-pack of beers specifically designed to pair with cookies.
The Flying Dog Holiday Collection was inspired by signature cookies from a local Baltimore favorite, Otterbein’s Bakery, which is known for its ultra-thin, crispy confections. These aren’t just beers made with brown sugar or a handful of chocolate chips; brewmaster Matt Brophy designs the beers to not only pair with the cookies, but also to be enhanced by them. For example, eating a lemon cookie while drinking the Cranberry IPA will make the beer taste sweeter and temper its tart hoppiness. Sugar cookies enhance the grapefruit and pepper flavors in the Citrus Saison. Oatmeal raisin cookies combine with the Fig & Fennel Stout to create a fruitcake in your mouth. And the bakery’s brand-new orange white chocolate chip cookie (the company’s first new cookie release in decades) serves as a perfect garnish for the Belgian-Style Pale Ale, bringing out its sweetness.
Last year, the collection was only available in Maryland. But owing to popular demand, the beers, along with the cookies, can also be found in Washington, DC and Northern Virginia until the end of December.