- Nigel Slater's Blackberry Focaccia
- The Most Amazing Lemon Bundt Cake
- Crazy-Good Chicken-Fried Rabbit
- Grilled Quail with Shaved Fennel and Yogurt
- No-Bake Cheesecake Tart with Strawberries and Honey
- Summer Tease: Stone Fruit Pie with Buttery Streusel Topping
- Salty & Sweet Caramels from San Francisco’s Miette
- Ultimate Parker House Rolls
- Classic Twist Doughnuts
- Succulent Asian Spiced Duck Burgers
Warning: Test Kitchen Tease snapshots may cause cravings, lip-smacking and an unshakeable desire to cook.
This week in the F&W Test Kitchen, we enjoyed a double dose of figs when testing this superb recipe for grilled figs with fig jam and blistered jalapeños.
First, we made the jam by simmering dried Black Mission figs and brown sugar in red wine until soft and plump, then we coarsely pureed the mixture to form a savory-sweet accompaniment to what comes next—grilled figs! What's so clever about these grilled figs? We halved each one, then dusted the cut sides in sugar before marking them on a scorching hot grill. The result: A crème brûlée-style crust that was perfectly caramelized and just lightly charred.
To contrast the sweet figs and jam, we added salty feta cheese, cilantro leaves, lime wedges (for squeezing) and grill-blistered jalapeño peppers. This recipe won't be published for a few months, but in the meantime, this Fig, Orange and Pistachio Conserve would make a great alternative to fig jam in an easy grilled fig salad. It's also a fantastic summer starter, especially when served on grilled bread with fresh ricotta cheese.
Related: Fig Recipes