- One-Pot Stew with Malbec
- Fast Vegan Black Bean Chili with Malbec
- Tomatillo Chicken Stew with Sauvignon Blanc
- Sweet-and-Smoky Wheat Berry Salad with Jurançon
- Paprikash-Roasted Chicken with Blaufränkisch
- Simplest, Most Delicious Beans with Chianti
- Winter Vegetable Pasta with Dolcetto
- Broccoli Sandwich with a Bright, Crisp White
- Healthy Borscht Salad with Juicy Beaujolais
- Whole Fish and Pickly Things with Gavi di Gavi
The earthy flavors of soba (buckwheat noodles) and red miso make this soup delicious with a light-bodied red wine like Beaujolais.
These healthy recipes are all created to pair with wine (a 5-ounce glass has anywhere from 110 to 150 calories)—all for 600 calories or fewer.
Some Asian noodle soups like ramen and pho often take days to make well, so I usually leave them to the experts. When I’m craving a brothy soup, I usually cheat (a lot) and just add some noodles, leftover meat or tofu and a few Asian-y garnishes to a decent homemade chicken stock. Here, the earthy flavors of soba (buckwheat noodles) and red miso make this delicious with a light-bodied red wine like Beaujolais, or if you’re feeling adventurous, try a funky Poulsard from the Jura.
Chicken Soup with Soba, Red Miso and Meyer Lemon
Total: 20 MIN
1 quart chicken stock or low-sodium broth
4 ounces soba noodles
1/4 cup red miso
1 tablespoon Meyer lemon juice
1 cup rotisserie chicken breast or other cooked chicken breast, warm or at room temperature
Thinly sliced scallion greens, for garnish
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. In a medium pot, bring the broth to a simmer.
2. Add the noodles to the boiling water and cook until al dente, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain the noodles, and using tongs, transfer them to bowls.
3. Meanwhile, ladle 1 cup of the broth into a heatproof bowl and whisk in the miso. Return the miso-broth to the pot and cook until hot, but not boiling. Add the lemon juice.
4. Top the noodles with the chicken. Ladle the hot broth on top of the noodles, garnish with the scallions and serve.
One serving 380 cal, 5.7 gm fat, 1.2 gm sat fat, 50 gm carb, 3 gm fiber, 30 gm protein.
Kristin Donnelly is a former Food & Wine editor and cofounder of Stewart & Claire, an all-natural line of lip balms made in Brooklyn.