Relatively new to the Instagram playing field, iconic NYC chef Michael Lomonaco (@cheflomonaco) of Porter House New York is already taking advantage of the platform's new video capabilities. Lomonaco posted two charming clips this week in honor of July 4th weekend, including a demo of his perfect Dark 'n Stormy (he recommends sourcing a good ginger beer like Fever-Tree) and a steak sandwich how-to.
Meanwhile, NOLA superstar John Besh (@chefjohnbesh) is over on his handle making biscuits and F&W Best New Chef 2008 Michael Psikakis (@mpsilakis) and F&W Classic in Aspen hero Marcus Samuelsson (@marcuscooks) will also be posting Instagram videos tied to Independance Day this afternoon. See how chefs and at-home cooks celebrate the holiday F&W-style all weekend by tracking and using the hashtag #FWSummer.
Follow Food & Wine on Instagram @foodandwinemag.
Photo © David Malosh/ Art © James Maikowski.
Boxed candies can be supremely delicious and sexy. But to impress the truly chocolate-obsessed Valentine on Thursday—and provide shopping alternatives for stumped procrastinators—Momofuku Milk Bar’s sugar mastermind, Christina Tosi, reveals some of the more creative ways to enjoy chocolate.
1. Pair with fruits and vegetables. “Chocolate is a great way to hide the ‘healthy’ in your next tomato cake, beet, celery root or potato concoction, or zucchini bread!”
2. Serve with cheese. “Dark chocolate is great with any grassy cheese, and a great surprise on a cheese platter. You can even make a killer fudge sauce/spread with some grassy goat milk, to sit on your next cheese platter.”
3. Burn it. “Did you know that burning white chocolate slowly makes the most delicious, sweet brown butter bits?” Now you do.
4. Eat it on toast. “Or in toast! With passion fruit curd and a cup of coffee.”
5. Smoke it. “My first run in with this was working as a pastry cook for Sam Mason and chef Wylie Dufresne at WD-50 in New York. We turned smoked chocolate into a killer ice cream.”
Follow writer Jasmin Sun on Twitter @jasminsun.
Related: Christina Tosi's 7 Craziest Cookie Ingredients
F&W Editor Picks: Best Chocolates
DIY Chocolates Candies