- Here's a New Way to Spend $100,000 on Wine
- Smart Wine Dispenser Learns Your Palate (Sort of)
- This Serbian Artist Paints with Wine
- What It Takes to Become the Best Sommelier in the World
- eBay Gets into the Wine Business
- Christie Brinkley Just Launched Her Own Prosecco
- The Vineyard on the Israeli-Palestinian Border
- 17 Wine Resolutions for 2017 from Top Sommeliers
- Wine Predictions from a Guy Who Sells 42 Million Bottles a Year
- What to Drink This Valentine's Day
It’s hard to think of a better chef-sommelier team than Eric Ripert and Aldo Sohm, the star cook and wine director, respectively, of NYC’s outstanding restaurant Le Bernardin. They can be very funny (they certainly were when Frank Bruni, with help from Ripert, punked Sohm for an F&W story, "World’s Best Sommelier vs. World’s Worst Customer"). But the two are never less than genius, and so they are in the just-launched Avec Eric: Perfect Pairings web videos. In the short, sweet videos, Ripert challenges Sohm to do things like pick a wine that goes with all the crazy flavors on a charcuterie plate (next week you'll see Sohm rise to that challenge, choosing a light but powerful 2006 Bai Gorri Crianza red).
The videos, a follow up to their popular Get Toasted series (love that name), also preview the Avec Eric: Perfect Pairings wine club inspired by Ripert’s PBS series Avec Eric. Of course, members get a couple bottles of wine a month (Sohm’s picks might include 2007 Pinot Noir Flowers Sonoma Coast, plus his tasting notes.) They also get Ripert’s excellent recipes paired to those wines and web videos that explain that (perfect) pairing. You can drink those wines while watching the Perfect Pairings series and/or while you watch Ripert be a phenomenal judge on Top Chef Season 7 in DC.