- 12 Boozy Tea Drinks to Toast the Return of Downton Abbey
- 6 Spicy, Tingly Cocktails
- 5 Pecan Pie-Perfect Bourbons
- 5 Pumpkin Spice Cocktails
- Spring Tease: Fennel Cocktails
- Why You Should Make Winter Sangria
- Kümmel 101: How to Use the Sweet-Savory Dutch Spirit
- 8 Nonalcoholic Party Drinks for Graduation Celebrations
- 5 Ways to Drink Your Turmeric, Super Ingredient of the Moment
- How to Juice Like a Philanthropic Supermodel
This San Francisco bar is serving lunchboxes packed with something even better than a PB&J with the crusts cut off: alcohol.
The folks at San Francisco’s week-old bar Dirty Habit (formerly Fifth Floor) are doing a lot of things right. They’re pouring rare whiskies, they’re offering year-round outdoor seating on a beautiful patio and they’re attracting the city’s techies by providing electrical outlets all over the place. But the greatest thing they’re doing is serving lunchboxes packed with something even better than a PB&J with the crusts cut off: alcohol.
Somewhere between a bowl of punch and a Lunchable lies Dirty Habit’s Get Me a Juice Box. It contains two canned beers, a thermos filled with a cocktail, and a snack. Bar manager Brian Means first had the idea during a very long day of work when he forgot to eat. “I thought, I need to start bring a lunchbox like the old burly construction guys that would work up on the girders,” he says. “Then I thought, If I was working up there I would want a beer. So we made it happen.”
Right now, the thermos is filled with a hot toddy made with Buffalo Trace bourbon and ginger syrup in place of honey. The beers are PBRs. And the snack is a bag of mixed nuts tossed with harissa and paprika. The cocktail, beers and snacks will change with the season to include items like 21st Amendment’s Hell or High Watermelon wheat beer and house-made chicharrónes. Just like mom use to pack.