- The Most Popular Beer Made From Waste Arrives in The United States
- Fancy Brooklyn Condos Come with Rooftop Farmland
- The Surprising Benefits of Eating Super-Spicy Food for Every Single Meal
- How Tiny Insects Are Making Huge Strides in Sustainable Agriculture
- These Are Things You're Overpaying for at Restaurants
- A Champagne Vending Machine Is Coming Soon to New Orleans
- Oreo Will Be Releasing Two New Flavors, But There's a Catch
- Want Free Wendy’s Nuggets for a Year? It’ll Cost You 18 Million Retweets
- Wine Tasting Engages Your Brain More Than Any Other Behavior, Says Neuroscientist
- Exclusive: Tom Colicchio Talks Craft and Hunger on National Geographic Explorer
Scientist Harry Klee has created the perfect supermarket tomato.
Scientist Harry Klee has created the perfect supermarket tomato. Slate reports that the Garden Gem is super-flavorful like an heirloom, but also just as easy to grow as those bland, cardboardy fauxmatoes you normally find in the market. Unfortunately, it's not coming to stores any time soon because industrial growers believe it's too small (about 50 grams) and a small tomato means higher labor costs. While supermarkets aren't willing to raise prices for the moment, Klee remains optimistic; he's currently working on a new hybrid that will produce a larger-sized fruit.
Luckily, we're coming up to peak season for heirlooms. Here, seven terrific recipes to make with juicy summer tomatoes from farmers' markets.
1. Heirloom Tomato Salad
A medley of heirloom varieties shine in this fast, healthy salad.
2. Heirloom Tomatoes Stuffed with Summer Succotash
Star chef Thomas Keller spoons buttery succotash into hollowed-out heirloom tomatoes.
3. Sausage and Heirloom Tomato Salad
This Mexican-inspired salad features hearts of palm, cilantro and lime juice.
4. Striped Bass Fish Tacos
How do you upgrade fish tacos? With fresh, summery heirloom tomato salsa.
5. Heirloom Tomato and Eggplant Gratin
This terrific family-style dish requires only five ingredients plus salt and pepper.
6. Heirloom Tomato Salad with Tuna Confit
Olive oil-packed canned tuna makes quick work of this delicious Portuguese salad.
7. Tomato-Feta Salad with Lime and Mint
Chef April Bloomfield uses summer's best heirloom tomatoes for a super quick salad tossed with an incredible garlic-and-lime dressing.