- The James Beard Media Awards 2017 Complete Winners List: The Year's Best Cookbooks, TV Shows, and Food Journalism
- The Doomsday Vault Where the World’s Seeds Are Kept Safe
- Why Panera Bread Founder Ron Shaich Sold His Company
- 94-Year-Old Woman Has Worked at McDonald's for 44 Years
- World Water Day 2017: 5 Things to Know About Water Consumption
- Why Does Wine Give You a Headache?
- Michelle Obama Faces Her Toughest Interviewer Yet—an 11-Year-Old MasterChef Junior Challenge Winner
- Rascal Flatts Takes Over the Kitchen at the Hermitage Cafe in Nashville
- Anthony Bourdain Guessed Secret Ingredients on 'The Tonight Show'
- The Two Most Influential Food People in the World, 2017 Edition
At F&W, we're forever obsessed with great cocktails and the best places to find them. So when POV opened in the nation's capital this week, our awesome Washington, DC, stringer Amanda McClements (you can also find her at metrocurean.com) went right out and started drinking the no-blender piña coladas (made with fresh pineapple soda, white rum and coconut cream). Here's her report:
DC's primo cocktail destination is back—and with better drinks. The historic Hotel Washington, recently transformed into a boutique W Hotel, opened its roof lounge this week. The terrace and adjoining bar have been dubbed POV for the “point of view,” an unrivaled panorama of downtown’s monuments and the White House; I hear you can see Sasha and Malia’s playground when the trees drop their leaves. NYC cocktail mastermind Sasha Petraske and hometown mixologist Justin Guthrie (previously of Michel Richard’s Central) created the drink list, which includes classics and seasonal concoctions like a Dark and Stormy mixed with ultra-spicy house-made ginger beer. The small-plates menu has dishes from Jean-Georges Vongerichten’s restaurants (his J&G Steakhouse is on the hotel’s ground floor), like chicken samosas with cilantro yogurt and goat cheese.