- Artist Francesca Pasquali Turns Drinking Straws Into Textured Visions
- Halloween Candy Prices Are On the Rise for a Surprising Reason
- BBC Developing a British Bake Off-Like Cooking Show
- Worldwide Wine Production Drops to Lowest Amount in Decades
- Iceland Has More American Tourists Than Citizens
- What It's Like To Cook at the White House
- There's Now Proof That Eating Cheese Makes Wine Taste Better
- Facebook Users Can Now Order Food Through Pages
- Why Miracle Mop Inventor Joy Mangano Opened a Restaurant
- Genetics Might be to Blame for Fussy Eating
This year, Dan Barber put the spotlight on food waste at WastED, his three-week pop-up where food that would have otherwise been thrown away was repurposed into dumpster-dive vegetable salads, leftover citrus sangria and improbably delicious bites of monkfish head.
This year, Dan Barber put the spotlight on food waste at WastED, his three-week pop-up where food that would have otherwise been thrown away was repurposed into dumpster-dive vegetable salads, leftover citrus sangria and improbably delicious bites of monkfish head. But the highlight was Barber's cheeseburger, made of pulp from local cold-pressed juice stores, repurposed bread buns, pickled cucumber butts and bruised beet ketchup. This Friday, Shake Shack at Madison Square Park will offer 500 juice pulp cheeseburgers and donate a dollar from each sale to local charity City Harvest NYC. If you're not lucky enough to snag one of the special-edition burgers, here are nine amazing veggie burgers to make at home.
1. Fresh and Juicy Veggie Burgers
Jimmy Bannos Jr.'s incredible burger is loaded with chickpeas, artichokes, olives, asparagus and quinoa.
2. Brown-Rice Veggie Burgers
Try these healthy burgers in warm pita pockets instead of the traditional bun.
3. Black Bean Burgers
Hearty black beans are a terrific substitute for meat.
4. Cumin-Spiced Red Lentil Burgers
These Indian-inspired veggie burgers feature red lentils, which don't need to be soaked.
5. Cheese-Stuffed Portobello Burgers
Smoky Gouda cheese stars in these meatless burgers.
6. Veggie Burgers with Pomegranate Ketchup
Chef Richard Blais's tasty burgers get meaty flavor thanks to ground porcini mushrooms.
7. Crispy Quinoa Burgers with Gruyère and Caramelized Onions
Sharp white cheddar and Gruyère cheese give these hearty sliders delicious flavor.
8. Corn and Shiitake Fritters
Sweet corn kernels are used two ways for these fantastic burgers—pureed into the batter and sautéed with shiitake and onion for delicious crunch.
9. Oat Cakes and Spinach with Horseradish Sauce
These excellent patties are made with old-fashioned oats and cashews.