- 5 Corn Cocktails That Scream Summer
- 3 DIY Gifts for Cocktail-Lovers
- Early Look: Fatty Crab St. John
- Urban Picnicking in Boston
- NYC's Top New Tapas
- 5 Lemon Cocktails to Make When Life Takes Your Limes
- Brunch Drinks
- 10 Cocktail and Food Pairings That Belong Together
- Shandy 2.0: Modern Takes on the Simplest Beer Cocktail
- 9 Bright, Vibrant Apricot Cocktails
© Chelsea Morse
Gazpacho at Claire's Restaurant & Bar
Food & Wine’s food-obsessed features intern, Chelsea Morse, admits that she is is occasionally guilty of thinking that Manhattan is the only place where interesting food trends take off. “It's a dangerous trap,” she says. A recent trip to Vermont has her reconsidering.
Here's her big discovery:
Claire's Restaurant & Bar in Hardwick is a CSR (community-supported restaurant). More than 100 individual donors provided all of its start-up funds and eighty cents of every dollar that is spent on food stays within 15 miles of the restaurant—year-round. (Translation: incredible tomato gazpacho all summer, but no green salads in January). The restaurant is even moving its bar program toward local ingredients as much as possible. Vermont chefs and bartenders manage to sneak maple products into everything, and Claire's Dark & Stormy (their version of my go-to summer cocktail) features a dash of a local maple liqueur. Heaven. I can't wait for my next trip north.