- 7 Sparkling Oscar Night Cocktails
- Liquid Diet: Sommelier Steven Grubbs Quests for the Perfect Pourover
- The Return of the 80s Cocktail
- Wine and Booze Experts Weigh the Repercussions of Brexit
- 5 Corn Cocktails That Scream Summer
- What to Drink This Valentine's Day
- Cleopatra Had a Secret Drinking Club
- 5 Ways You're Screwing Up Irish Coffee
- Test Your Bartending Mettle at Anvil Bar’s Blind Spirits Tasting
- Red Wine Hot Chocolate is the Boozy Beverage You Need This Winter
© Lucas Allen
The latest edition of F&W Cocktails focuses on classic drinks and mixologists’ updates. Here, the Sidecar as interpreted by Jonny Raglin of San Francisco’s Comstock Saloon >
© Lucas Allen
The latest edition of F&W Cocktails focuses on classic drinks and mixologists’ updates. Here, the Sidecar as interpreted by Jonny Raglin of San Francisco’s Comstock Saloon (Comstock Saloon, 155 Columbus Ave., San Francisco; 415-617-0071).
The Classic: Sidecar
Experts say this delicious, überclassic cocktail, made with Cognac and sweetened with Grand Marnier, dates back to the 1930s.
The Twist: Cherry Slidecar
Raglin’s variation of the sidecar is infused with three layers of cherry flavor: cherry bitters, cherry liqueur and a brandied cherry garnish.
The Reinvention: Bondage
Raglin punches up his exceptional sidecar variation with overproof whiskey and apple brandy, plus ginger and pear liqueurs.
The Mocktail: Steve McQueen
A potent gingery vinegar syrup flavors Raglin’s excellent nonalcoholic version of the classic sidecar cocktail.
To buy F&W Cocktails 2012, go to foodandwine.com/books.
Related: More from our April Issue