- Early Look: Fatty Crab St. John
- Urban Picnicking in Boston
- NYC's Top New Tapas
- 5 Lemon Cocktails to Make When Life Takes Your Limes
- Brunch Drinks
- 10 Cocktail and Food Pairings That Belong Together
- Shandy 2.0: Modern Takes on the Simplest Beer Cocktail
- 9 Bright, Vibrant Apricot Cocktails
- Clarified Lime Juice Makes the Coolest Mojito Ever
- Sesame, Mustard and Olive Oils Now Enhancing Cocktails
© Lucas Allen
The latest edition of F&W Cocktails focuses on classic drinks and mixologists’ updates. Here, the Sidecar as interpreted by Jonny Raglin of San Francisco’s Comstock Saloon >
© Lucas Allen
The latest edition of F&W Cocktails focuses on classic drinks and mixologists’ updates. Here, the Sidecar as interpreted by Jonny Raglin of San Francisco’s Comstock Saloon (Comstock Saloon, 155 Columbus Ave., San Francisco; 415-617-0071).
The Classic: Sidecar
Experts say this delicious, überclassic cocktail, made with Cognac and sweetened with Grand Marnier, dates back to the 1930s.
The Twist: Cherry Slidecar
Raglin’s variation of the sidecar is infused with three layers of cherry flavor: cherry bitters, cherry liqueur and a brandied cherry garnish.
The Reinvention: Bondage
Raglin punches up his exceptional sidecar variation with overproof whiskey and apple brandy, plus ginger and pear liqueurs.
The Mocktail: Steve McQueen
A potent gingery vinegar syrup flavors Raglin’s excellent nonalcoholic version of the classic sidecar cocktail.
To buy F&W Cocktails 2012, go to foodandwine.com/books.
Related: More from our April Issue