- 5 Ways to Celebrate Pi(e) Day a La Mode
- 7 Yakitori Recipes to Make at Home
- 9 Banh Mi Recipes for Desk Lunch Domination
- 7 Movie Theater-Inspired Snacks for an Awesome Oscar Party
- 7 Oscar Party Foods on a Stick
- 7 Sparkling Oscar Night Cocktails
- 7 Dressed-Up Bow-Tie Pasta Recipes for Oscar Night Dinner
- 9 Elegant Oscar Party Dessert Ideas
- 11 Monday Brunch Recipes
- 11 Super-Melty-Cheesy Dishes for a Snow Day
Spicy chile powder and sweet chocolate are a delicious duo—just think about Mexican hot chocolate. But it’s an underused combination, in our opinion.
Spicy chile powder and sweet chocolate are a delicious duo—just think about Mexican hot chocolate. But it’s an underused combination, in our opinion. In this week’s episode of Mad Genius Tips, F&W’s Justin Chapple tries adding some of Tim Love’s guajillo-spiked spice rub to a chocolate bar. The result? Crazy delicious. It’s further proof that chocolate and chiles need to be served together more often. Here, eight recipes for chocolate desserts with a spicy chile kick.
1. Gluten-Free Chocolate-Chile Cakes
These flourless chocolate cakes get heat from cayenne and crushed red pepper. They’re topped with a cooling, tangy yogurt frosting.
2. Chocolate-Cayenne Cocktail Cookies
Sweet, spicy and rich in dark chocolate, these cookies are particularly delicious with a glass of sparkling Lambrusco.
3. Pots de Crème with Chocolate, Chile and Espresso
These delicious desserts will convince anyone that the combination of spicy dried chiles and chocolate is incredibly delicious.
4. Cinnamon Cake with Chile-Chocolate Buttercream
Mexican hot chocolate, reimagined as a layer cake. The sponge cake is flavored with cinnamon and the buttercream frosting is subtly spicy thanks to ancho chile powder and cayenne pepper.
5. Grilled Pound Cake with Mexican Chocolate Sauce and Tropical Fruit
Chef Michelle Bernstein tops slices of warm grilled cake with a fantastic chocolate sauce flavored with cocoa, cinnamon and chile powder.
6. Chocolate Mole Bread Pudding
This gooey dessert is perfect for dinner parties.
7. Mayan Chocolate Pudding
A touch of ground habanero chiles gives this pudding a slightly smoky flavor.
8. Bittersweet Chocolate Truffles Rolled in Spices
These bittersweet truffles are coated with a variety of flavorings, including a blend of cinnamon, allspice, and ancho and chipotle chile powders.