- Restaurant Roots: Deuki Hong's Fried Chicken Dreams
- How To Go On a Thai Cleanse
- Celebrity Chefs Take Up Residence in Yosemite National Park
- This Chef Fuels His Cycling Obsession with Ham-and-Egg Sticky Rice Energy Bars
- David Chang Pigs Out on Barley
- Eric Ripert’s Breadbasket Philosophy
- Star Chefs to Invade Black Seed, Introduce Squid Ink Bagels and Seaweed Cream Cheese
- How Sweden's Maverick Chef is Reinventing Nordic Cooking
- Mario Batali Wants to Give You a Personalized Recipe
- The New Queen of the Union Square Farmers Market
This Valentine’s Day, skip the chocolate fondue and instead serve your significant other something much sexier: beets.
Chef José Andrés recently appeared on Conan to promote his new vegetable-centric restaurant, Beefsteak, and make his signature beet burger for host Conan O’Brien. During the demo, he repeatedly described the beet and the beet sandwich as being very sexy. He also explained how beet juice’s similarity to blood could be beneficial to a potential axe murderer. “This is a good alibi,” he exclaimed. “If you are thinking about killing someone, make a beet sandwich.”
Watch the clip below, then make your date (or murder victim) one of our best beet recipes.