- How Chefs Are Cooking with Pickle Brine
- April Bloomfield's Tips On Building a Better Burger
- Celebrity Chefs Take Up Residence in Yosemite National Park
- Rick Bayless Reveals New Projects: Cruz Blanca Brewery and Leña Brava, an All-Wood-Fired Restaurant
- Restaurant Roots: Deuki Hong's Fried Chicken Dreams
- Toro Will Take Over Seamore’s on April Fools' Day
- L.A.'s Best New Chef-Driven Markets
- Dominique Ansel Unveils the Blooming Marshmallow
- Danny Meyer is Opening a Pizza Joint at Citi Field
- How Dominique Ansel Does a French Dip
This Valentine’s Day, skip the chocolate fondue and instead serve your significant other something much sexier: beets.
Chef José Andrés recently appeared on Conan to promote his new vegetable-centric restaurant, Beefsteak, and make his signature beet burger for host Conan O’Brien. During the demo, he repeatedly described the beet and the beet sandwich as being very sexy. He also explained how beet juice’s similarity to blood could be beneficial to a potential axe murderer. “This is a good alibi,” he exclaimed. “If you are thinking about killing someone, make a beet sandwich.”
Watch the clip below, then make your date (or murder victim) one of our best beet recipes.