- Is Soft Jazz the Secret to Great Goat Cheese?
- Burlington, Vermont Peaks
- Highlights from Farm Aid 2007
- Eat Like a Local in Kauai
- Honey of an Apple
- Vermont Cheese Field Trip
- 5 Tips on Starting an Urban Farm From Brooklyn Grange
- No Baby Animals Were Killed in The Writing of This Post
- Heirloom Tomato Crisis
- Alice Waters Hearts Baby Peaches
Anyone looking for a friendly, approachable survey of the current debate between carnivores and vegetarians might enjoy Tara Austen Weaver’s new memoir, The Butcher & The Vegetarian. The writer, who was raised vegetarian, explores her own feelings about eating meat and doing without, taking a field trip to the certified-humane Prather Ranch, and taking a meat cookery lesson with Guy Prince, a.k.a. Mr. Biggles, the founder of the food blog Meathenge. Weaver even describes her shock at discovering in F&W that vegetarian icon Mollie Katzen now occasionally eats meat. After the jump, Weaver, who divides her time between San Francisco and Seattle, shares her favorite destinations in both cities for carnivores, vegetable lovers and folks in between.
Tara Austen Weaver's The Butcher and The Vegetarian