- Star Chefs Will Head to Greenville, South Carolina for Euphoria 2017
- Many of New York's Best Chefs Come Together for 10th Annual STREETS Eats
- Last Call: Alex Raij and Eder Montero Are Making Poole's Diner-Inspired Tapas Tonight
- Party for a Cause at Chris Shepherd’s Southern Smoke
- Go Hog Wild at the NC Barbecue Revival This Weekend
- What Happens When a Street Food Hawker and a Fine Dining Chef Make Dinner?
- 5 Great Bottles for Riesling Fanatics
- Meet the Women Running This Year's Food Book Fair
- Sean Brock Curating Taste Talks and Bringing Fried Chicken and Whiskey to Brooklyn
- Why Txakoli is Taking North Carolina by Storm
The parking lot of the Summit Grand Hotel in Summit, New Jersey, is maybe the world’s most unlikely place to find a high concentration of exceptional hamburgers. But the Burger Summit, the closing event of this weekend’s Summit Wine & Food Festival, made this far-fetched scenario a reality. Among the heroic NYC chefs who came to NJ to sear up burgers: Michael Psilakis (an F&W Best New Chef 2008), who topped thick Kefi burgers with an alluring feta-pepper spread; my hero Joey Campanaro of the Little Owl, who offered both sliced and speared Guss’s pickles with his awesome bacon–American cheese burgers; Alex Raij of Txikito, whose indulgent El Doble burger was layered with smoked sheep’s-milk cheese and creamy sauce; and the outstanding Black Label Burger from Minetta Tavern’s Lee Hanson and Riad Nasr. But none of them won awards from the judging panel, which included the famed LaFrieda meat boys and all the members of the Burger of the Month club. Who were the winners? Some non-household names, including NYC's Stand for best classic and Belmar, NJ's Boom for best slider. The Feedbag’s Josh Ozersky, the event’s emcee, has all the details, as well as coverage of the straight-from-the-Weather-Channel hailstorm that hit, but didn’t stop, the Burger Summit.
BGR's 19-pound burger