- All of Your Questions About King Cake, Answered
- How Chefs Are Cooking with Pickle Brine
- Pot-au-Feu: The Ultimate French Comfort Food
- Potage Parmentier: The Perfect Potato and Leek Soup in Any Language
- 5 Reasons Why Pie Is the Best
- Where to Eat While You Bet on March Madness in Vegas
- What It’s Like to Eat Six Bowls of Ramen in a Single Day
- 3 Bittersweet Drinks to Make with Amaro di Angostura
- 8 Unexpected Ways to Top a Pizza
- Everything You Need to Know About Oolong Tea
When you’re making a sophisticated, complex, grown-up grilled cheese, you need something a little sturdier than white bread. Here, the best breads for grilled cheese sandwiches.
When you’re making a gooey, stuffed grilled cheese pocket (like the one in this week’s episode of Mad Genius Tips), you need a soft, pliable white bread. But when you’re making a sophisticated, complex, grown-up grilled cheese, you need something a little sturdier. Here, the best breads for grilled cheese sandwiches.
A crustier step up from basic white bread but still soft and airy, Pullman bread is a great gateway bread for those looking to make a more artisanal sandwich. To upgrade it, try sprinkling slices with extra cheese before grilling the sandwich for a super-crisp, cheesy crust.
Give your gooey, cheesy sandwich the illusion of healthiness by making it with hearty multigrain. The rich, grain-studded bread can stand up to lots of flavors. Try it with a mix of Manchego, smoked cheddar and Gouda.
Tangy, crusty sourdough is the ultimate grown-up grilled cheese bread. Try it with pungent Époisses and pepper jelly.
Perfect for a handheld meal on the go, English muffins are underused when it comes to grilled cheese sandwiches. The nooks and crannies are especially great when it comes to ultra-melty soft cheeses like triple-crème or brie.
Spongy with a firm but forgiving crust, this Italian white bread is best cut into thick slices for a hearty, filling sandwich. We like it topped with Manchego, apple slices and chunky parsley-walnut spread.
Dark, malty pumpernickel is a fantastic foil for bright flavors like the mango chutney in these grilled ham and cheddar sandwiches.