- The Best Reason to Drink Gewürztraminer This Summer
- An Under-the-Radar Region That Makes Amazing Sauvignon Blanc
- Toast 2014 With Elegant Pink Cava
- Sure-Fire Wine Gift: Aged Rioja
- A Vividly Delicious Italian White
- Floral, Fragrant Bordeaux to Buy Now
- A Beautiful, Balanced California Chardonnay
- This Berry-Packed Beaujolais is Amazing With Spicy Tuna Burgers
- Moscato d'Asti: Wine of a Thousand Uses
- Winter's #1 Party Riesling
High-acid whites are, of course, appealing in warm weather. But many of them, specifically those from cool climates, are ideal with winter dishes.
2012 Hugel et Fils Gentil: High-acid whites are, of course, appealing in warm weather. But many of them, specifically those from cool climates, are ideal with winter dishes. This is very much the case for wines from Alsace, where hearty choucroute garnie is traditionally matched with spiced Gewürztraminer or steely, dry Riesling—both of which are part of Hugel's great-value Gentil blend. It's a crisp, floral-scented white with enough power to pair with substantial dishes, and its combination of minerality and pear-tinged roundness just somehow tastes wintery.
Also Look For: Keuntz-Bas's similarly structured Alsace Blanc.