- This Chef Fuels His Cycling Obsession with Ham-and-Egg Sticky Rice Energy Bars
- David Chang Pigs Out on Barley
- Eric Ripert’s Breadbasket Philosophy
- Chef José Andrés Thinks Beets Are Sexy
- Star Chefs to Invade Black Seed, Introduce Squid Ink Bagels and Seaweed Cream Cheese
- How Sweden's Maverick Chef is Reinventing Nordic Cooking
- Rick Bayless Reveals New Projects: Cruz Blanca Brewery and Leña Brava, an All-Wood-Fired Restaurant
- Toro Will Take Over Seamore’s on April Fools' Day
- Dominique Ansel Unveils the Blooming Marshmallow
- Danny Meyer is Opening a Pizza Joint at Citi Field
Up-and-coming chef Katie Button is bringing the creative energy of the Barcelona avant-garde to her new cocktail-and-dessert bar in North Carolina.
Katie Button's story would make an excellent movie. Once a promising neuroscience PhD candidate, she parlayed a waitressing job at José Andrés’s Café Atlántico in Washington, DC, into a pastry internship at the famed El Bulli in Spain—then transformed that into a budding restaurant empire in Asheville, North Carolina. Her tapas bar Cúrate brilliantly tweaks classic dishes (a ribbon of the airiest mayonnaise accompanies white asparagus). Her new place is Nightbell, a dressed-up bar with terrific desserts and snacks. There, she channels her El Bulli mentor, Albert Adrià, creating snacks like spiced caramel corn and drinks like a root beer float with a snowball of shaved ice, house-made root beer syrup and vanilla-infused bourbon. It’s Barcelona meets the South. Nightbell, 32 S. Lexington Ave.; thenightbell.com.