- How Chefs Are Cooking with Pickle Brine
- How Dominique Ansel Does a French Dip
- Anthony Bourdain Wins His First Jiu-Jitsu Competition
- Meet New York’s $20, Truffle-Topped Ultimate Breakfast Sandwich
- How to Celebrate Pi Mai, the Lao New Year
- Chef Roy Choi Makes the Time 100
- Chef José Andrés Thinks Beets Are Sexy
- The New Queen of the Union Square Farmers Market
- How Sweden's Maverick Chef is Reinventing Nordic Cooking
- This Chef Fuels His Cycling Obsession with Ham-and-Egg Sticky Rice Energy Bars
Up-and-coming chef Katie Button is bringing the creative energy of the Barcelona avant-garde to her new cocktail-and-dessert bar in North Carolina.
Katie Button's story would make an excellent movie. Once a promising neuroscience PhD candidate, she parlayed a waitressing job at José Andrés’s Café Atlántico in Washington, DC, into a pastry internship at the famed El Bulli in Spain—then transformed that into a budding restaurant empire in Asheville, North Carolina. Her tapas bar Cúrate brilliantly tweaks classic dishes (a ribbon of the airiest mayonnaise accompanies white asparagus). Her new place is Nightbell, a dressed-up bar with terrific desserts and snacks. There, she channels her El Bulli mentor, Albert Adrià, creating snacks like spiced caramel corn and drinks like a root beer float with a snowball of shaved ice, house-made root beer syrup and vanilla-infused bourbon. It’s Barcelona meets the South. Nightbell, 32 S. Lexington Ave.; thenightbell.com.