- 5 Great Bottles for Riesling Fanatics
- Meet the Women Running This Year's Food Book Fair
- Sean Brock Curating Taste Talks and Bringing Fried Chicken and Whiskey to Brooklyn
- Why Txakoli is Taking North Carolina by Storm
- Guess Who's Coming to Dinner at the 11th Euphoria Festival?
- Party Like Nancy Reagan by Raiding This Extravagant Christie's Auction
- Last Call: Alex Raij and Eder Montero Are Making Poole's Diner-Inspired Tapas Tonight
- Party for a Cause at Chris Shepherd’s Southern Smoke
- Go Hog Wild at the NC Barbecue Revival This Weekend
- What Happens When a Street Food Hawker and a Fine Dining Chef Make Dinner?
I wish I could have recorded every word out of Anthony Bourdain’s mouth at the Times Talk at the New York City Wine & Food Festival this past weekend. Especially because he had Frank Bruni asking him super-smart questions. But I only got a few of the highlights. Here they are.
© Alex Oliveira/startraksphoto.com
On Kitchen Confidential’s big break: "A lot of chefs didn’t want to see the industry spotlighted that way. Then Jacques Pépin got behind it. He said when he was a young chef, if he’d thrown out the bread from a table, his chef would have killed him.”
On the fetishizing of food these days: “It’s a great racket, don’t f*** it up.”
On chefs who might be coasting these days: “It’s hard to be Guy Fieri, you have to wake up every day and put on all that bling. And Rachael Ray sent me a fruit basket. I’m not going to talk s**t about her.”
On what’s made him sick during filming of his hit No Reservations show: “The little taco place with half a pig’s head sitting out under a light — that’s fine. It’s always the breakfast buffet at the Hilton where the trouble starts.”