Full of water, melons are super refreshing and hydrating—the perfect summer ingredient. Here are nine ways to use them in both sweet and savory dishes.
2. Salsa. Cut melon into small cubes and toss with lime juice, scallions, chiles and herbs for a salsa that’s great with shellfish (or even chips). Or make a luscious salsa for scallops with honeydew and avocado.
3. Skewered. Thread chunks of watermelon, cherry tomatoes and feta on skewers and make a vinaigrette for dipping.
5. Agua Fresca. Make the world’s most refreshing drink by blending watermelon with strawberries, water and sugar.
7. Grilled. Char melon to caramelize its sugars, then serve it with prosciutto in a salad, or drizzle it with a lime syrup for dessert.
8. Soup. Make a sweet-and-tangy chilled soup and float crab on top. Serve it by the pool.
9. Frozen desserts. Freeze melon puree and scrape it into a fluffy ice, or simply freeze it in ice cube trays for mini ice pops. For a “creamier” dessert, swirl the puree in the ice cream maker for a sorbet.
Kristin Donnelly is a former Food & Wine editor and author of the forthcoming The Modern Potluck (Clarkson Potter, 2016). She is also the cofounder of Stewart & Claire, an all-natural line of lip balms made in Brooklyn.