Guacamole is so much more than a dip for your chip. Here are nine ways to use it that go far beyond Mexican food.
1. On toast. Avocado toast has become an Instagram cliché. Guacamole toast? Not so much. Serve with sprouts and slices of tomato and hard-boiled egg for a breakfast so satisfying, you might not need to eat until dinner.
2. On a sandwich. Whether you’re filling bread with turkey, tuna salad or BLandT, use guac in place of mayo. And yes, you should put tortilla chips on the sandwich.
3. Soup. Puree guacamole to make a refreshing avocado soup, or use guacamole as a garnish for other smooth soups.
4. Deviled eggs. Garnish standard deviled eggs with a spoonful of guacamole, or skip the usual mayo-mustard and blend the egg yolks with the guacamole.
5. Salad dressing. Puree the guacamole with lime juice, water and oil to make a creamy dressing for a wedge salad.
6. Loaded potatoes. Who needs sour cream on baked potatoes when you have guacamole? Of course, there’s no reason you can’t put both on top.
7. With fried fish. Use it as a tartar sauce stand-in with fried fish and crab cakes instead of tartar sauce.
Kristin Donnelly is a former Food & Wine editor and author of the forthcoming The Modern Potluck (Clarkson Potter, 2016). She is also the cofounder of Stewart & Claire, an all-natural line of lip balms made in Brooklyn.