- 5 Ways to Celebrate Pi(e) Day a La Mode
- 7 Yakitori Recipes to Make at Home
- 9 Banh Mi Recipes for Desk Lunch Domination
- 7 Movie Theater-Inspired Snacks for an Awesome Oscar Party
- 7 Oscar Party Foods on a Stick
- 7 Sparkling Oscar Night Cocktails
- 7 Dressed-Up Bow-Tie Pasta Recipes for Oscar Night Dinner
- 9 Elegant Oscar Party Dessert Ideas
- 11 Monday Brunch Recipes
- 11 Super-Melty-Cheesy Dishes for a Snow Day
An ideal tailgating setup is portable and minimal: That means there’s probably no high-tech digital thermometer to tell you when your steak is a perfect medium-rare. But fear not.
An ideal tailgating setup is portable and minimal: That means there’s probably no high-tech digital thermometer to tell you when your steak is a perfect medium-rare. But fear not. In this week’s video from Panna, chef Daniel Patterson reveals how to tell how done a steak is simply by comparing how it feels to different parts of your hand. It’s an essential skill for any tailgating pro.
Try the trick on one of these nine juicy steaks at your next tailgate.
1. Grilled Skirt Steak with Chimichurri Sauce
Tangy, salsa-esque Argentinean chimichurri is a terrific complement to rich skirt steak.
2. Spice-Rubbed T-Bone Steaks
A powerful rub of ancho chile powder, cumin, paprika and garlic powder gives these big, thick steaks a ton of flavor.
3. Grilled Skirt Steak with Salsa Verde
Mario Batali likes to accent grilled meat with a sauce made with lots of herbs and garlic, plus capers and anchovies.
4. Flat Iron Steaks with Blue Cheese Butter
This tasty butter enhanced with Gorgonzola, shallot, tarragon and Worcestershire is great on any steak, including this quickly grilled flat iron.
5. Grilled Skirt Steak with Smoky Almond Sauce
Pipían is a sauce made from dried chiles, ground seeds and nuts. It’s a perfect fall accompaniment to steak.
6. Grilled Hanger Steak with Kimchi-Apple Slaw
This recipe is perfect for people who can’t wait to eat. You only need to marinate the steak in a potent mix of soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil, ginger, garlic and shallot for 15 minutes.
7. Grilled Strip Steaks with Onion Wedges
You can partially cook this steak at home for easy tailgate grilling.
8. Flank Steak with Herbed Salsa
Served with a vibrant salsa made right on the chopping board, this steak is super-quick and easy.
9. Grilled Skirt Steak with Green Sriracha
Sriracha doesn’t have to be red to be good. This one is made with coconut, chiles and kaffir lime leaves.