- 9 Southern Snacks for Binge-Watching House of Cards
- 6 Game-Day Snacks That You Can Make During Half Time
- 5 Crowd-Pleasing DIY Happy Hour Snacks
- 10 Quick Midnight Snacks if That V-Day Date Didn't Go As Planned
- 6 Super Bowl Snacks You Can Make in a Muffin Tin
- 10 Game-Day Snacks That Will Win Any World Cup Viewing Party
- 6 Last-Minute Halloween Snacks
- 9 Awesome Back-to-School Snacks You Can Make Ahead of Time
- 7 Avocado-Packed Super Bowl Snacks
- 7 Festive Snacks for Christmas Tree Decorating
Fish heads, fish heads, roly-poly fish heads.
Fish skeletons aren’t just food for cartoon alley cats. They’re also great for flavoring soups or making rich fish stock. So the next time you’re filleting a fish, make sure to save the bones—or just ask your fishmonger for a fish head or two—and whip up one of these delicious recipes.
1. Senegalese-Style Seafood Gumbo
This delicious, untraditional gumbo starts with a broth enriched with red snapper heads and bones.
2. Sardinian Seafood Stew
A full two-and-a-half pounds of fish heads and bones goes into the stock for this seafood-packed stew.
3. Steamed Sea Bass with Tamarind Sauce
This tender, healthy fish is served with a sauce made with homemade fish stock and tangy tamarind puree.
4. Classic Fish Stock
You can make this stock and freeze it for up to a month.
5. Steamed Red Snapper Packets
This fish is served with a side of “fish tea”—a broth similar to bouillabaisse.
6. Fish Curry with Tamarind
Chef Zak Pelaccio likes to throw a fish head or two into this creamy curry.
7. Red Snapper Soup with Fresh Bean Sprouts and Garlic Oil
This refreshing Vietnamese soup starts with a flavorful broth made with fish heads and bones, fish sauce, lemongrass and ginger.