- 10 Fruit Vinaigrettes for People Who Hate Fruit Vinaigrettes
- 7 Ways to Have a Champagne-Soaked New Year's Eve
- 8 Delicious Grains and Greens Recipes for Thanksgiving
- 7 Ways to Use Leftover Mashed Potatoes
- 11 Gooey Cheese-Stuffed Recipes
- 9 Best Cinnamon Brunch Recipes
- An Awesome Easy Italian Cookie for a Crowd
- Get Down and Dirty This Mardi Gras with Dirty Rice
- 7 Best Fennel Soups
- 7 One-Pot Dinners to Make Now
Fish heads, fish heads, roly-poly fish heads.
Fish skeletons aren’t just food for cartoon alley cats. They’re also great for flavoring soups or making rich fish stock. So the next time you’re filleting a fish, make sure to save the bones—or just ask your fishmonger for a fish head or two—and whip up one of these delicious recipes.
1. Senegalese-Style Seafood Gumbo
This delicious, untraditional gumbo starts with a broth enriched with red snapper heads and bones.
2. Sardinian Seafood Stew
A full two-and-a-half pounds of fish heads and bones goes into the stock for this seafood-packed stew.
3. Steamed Sea Bass with Tamarind Sauce
This tender, healthy fish is served with a sauce made with homemade fish stock and tangy tamarind puree.
4. Classic Fish Stock
You can make this stock and freeze it for up to a month.
5. Steamed Red Snapper Packets
This fish is served with a side of “fish tea”—a broth similar to bouillabaisse.
6. Fish Curry with Tamarind
Chef Zak Pelaccio likes to throw a fish head or two into this creamy curry.
7. Red Snapper Soup with Fresh Bean Sprouts and Garlic Oil
This refreshing Vietnamese soup starts with a flavorful broth made with fish heads and bones, fish sauce, lemongrass and ginger.