- 7 Movie Theater-Inspired Snacks for an Awesome Oscar Party
- 7 Sparkling Oscar Night Cocktails
- 7 Oscar Party Foods on a Stick
- 9 Elegant Oscar Party Dessert Ideas
- 7 Dressed-Up Bow-Tie Pasta Recipes for Oscar Night Dinner
- 11 Monday Brunch Recipes
- 7 Crab Dip Recipes for Holiday Parties
- Recover from Cinco de Mayo with These Refreshing Drinks
- Celebrate George Washington and Abraham Lincoln with Their Favorite Foods
- 12 Ways to Make Tomato Soup
Fish heads, fish heads, roly-poly fish heads.
Fish skeletons aren’t just food for cartoon alley cats. They’re also great for flavoring soups or making rich fish stock. So the next time you’re filleting a fish, make sure to save the bones—or just ask your fishmonger for a fish head or two—and whip up one of these delicious recipes.
1. Senegalese-Style Seafood Gumbo
This delicious, untraditional gumbo starts with a broth enriched with red snapper heads and bones.
2. Sardinian Seafood Stew
A full two-and-a-half pounds of fish heads and bones goes into the stock for this seafood-packed stew.
3. Steamed Sea Bass with Tamarind Sauce
This tender, healthy fish is served with a sauce made with homemade fish stock and tangy tamarind puree.
4. Classic Fish Stock
You can make this stock and freeze it for up to a month.
5. Steamed Red Snapper Packets
This fish is served with a side of “fish tea”—a broth similar to bouillabaisse.
6. Fish Curry with Tamarind
Chef Zak Pelaccio likes to throw a fish head or two into this creamy curry.
7. Red Snapper Soup with Fresh Bean Sprouts and Garlic Oil
This refreshing Vietnamese soup starts with a flavorful broth made with fish heads and bones, fish sauce, lemongrass and ginger.