Bitter, crunchy and tangy, the frisée salad is greater than the sum of its simple parts. All you need are some good, curly leaves, an easy vinaigrette and a few other ingredients (poached egg and lardons being the classic accessories) to make a gorgeous, flavor-packed salad worthy of an elegant dinner party or a luxe lunch for one. Here, our best recipes for this time-tested bistro stalwart.
2. Frisée Salad with Warm Bacon Vinaigrette
This warm salad is supremely bacon-y.
3. Poached Shrimp, Melon and Frisée Salad
Sweet poached shrimp is perfect with mild melon and peppery frisée.
4. Wilted Frisée Salad with Hot Smoky Tomato Dressing
Here’s a great way to serve a frisée salad in the winter.
5. Frisée-and-Potato Salad
The secret to this exceptionally delicious dish is nutritional yeast, which adds an umami-rich flavor.
6. Frisée Salad with Sautéed Chicken Livers and Croutons
Chicken livers, frisée, crisp bread, bacon and hard-cooked eggs make for a totally satisfying salad.
7. One-Eyed Salad with Winter Greens and Brown Sugar-Bacon Vinaigrette
Baby greens join frisée in Andrew Zimmern’s beefed up version of the popular salad.