- Mushroom Hunting (and Cooking) Lessons from an Expert Forager
- Pot-au-Feu: The Ultimate French Comfort Food
- Top 10 Food Moments Every 'Girls' Fan Will Remember
- Potage Parmentier: The Perfect Potato and Leek Soup in Any Language
- 5 Reasons Why Pie Is the Best
- Where to Eat While You Bet on March Madness in Vegas
- What It’s Like to Eat Six Bowls of Ramen in a Single Day
- 3 Bittersweet Drinks to Make with Amaro di Angostura
- 8 Unexpected Ways to Top a Pizza
- Everything You Need to Know About Oolong Tea
Here are seven fun ways to use sweet little tomatoes.
Don’t just think of cherry tomatoes (and their cousins, grape tomatoes) as a consolation while you wait for the big ones to ripen. These smaller guys are often sweeter, with a great ratio of juice to flesh. They have many more uses than salad and deserve a place in other dishes. Here are seven fun ways to use these little tomatoes.
1. Tart. Mound cherry tomatoes in a pastry shell and bake until the crust is browned.
4. Gratin. Bake tomatoes with bread cubes and herbs until the tomatoes are tender and the bread is crisp.
6. Vinaigrette. Toss the tomatoes in dressing with vinegar and shallots to spoon over salmon as it cooks.
7. Granita. Remind yourself that tomatoes are a fruit and freeze them with raspberries to make an intriguing sweet-savory palate cleanser.
Kristin Donnelly is a former Food & Wine editor and author of the forthcoming The Modern Potluck (Clarkson Potter, 2016). She is also the cofounder of Stewart & Claire, an all-natural line of lip balms made in Brooklyn.