- What Is Chai and How to Make It
- 8 Global Takes on Chicken Curry
- 11 Ways to Use Fennel
- 5 Ways to Drink Your Turmeric, Super Ingredient of the Moment
- 7 Ways to Rethink Cheesecake
- 15 Ways to Eat the 5 Best Winter Fruits
- Sweet Tea: Delicious Iced Caffeinator of the South
- How to Fix Lumpy Gravy and 3 Other Classic Thanksgiving Mistakes
- 9 Thanksgiving Troubleshooting Tips
- 5 Ways to Make Your Own Pesto
Here are seven fun ways to use sweet little tomatoes.
Don’t just think of cherry tomatoes (and their cousins, grape tomatoes) as a consolation while you wait for the big ones to ripen. These smaller guys are often sweeter, with a great ratio of juice to flesh. They have many more uses than salad and deserve a place in other dishes. Here are seven fun ways to use these little tomatoes.
1. Tart. Mound cherry tomatoes in a pastry shell and bake until the crust is browned.
4. Gratin. Bake tomatoes with bread cubes and herbs until the tomatoes are tender and the bread is crisp.
6. Vinaigrette. Toss the tomatoes in dressing with vinegar and shallots to spoon over salmon as it cooks.
7. Granita. Remind yourself that tomatoes are a fruit and freeze them with raspberries to make an intriguing sweet-savory palate cleanser.
Kristin Donnelly is a former Food & Wine editor and author of the forthcoming The Modern Potluck (Clarkson Potter, 2016). She is also the cofounder of Stewart & Claire, an all-natural line of lip balms made in Brooklyn.