- 8 Ways to Make a Healthier Bowl of Rice
- 8 Lightning-Fast Rice Recipes
- 9 Best-Ever Tomato Soups
- 10 Must-Make Summer Soups
- 10 Grown-Up Recipes for a Halloween Cocktail Party
- 11 Recipes to Make with the Ultimate Fall Herb: Sage
- 7 Recipes for Creamy Fricassee
- 9 Best Fall Polenta Recipes
- 11 Best Pasta Recipes for Fall
- 12 New Ways to Use Butternut Squash
Here, seven tried and true cherry pies, pastries and other sweets that can be made in a flash using this week’s Mad Genius Tip.
While cherries can make almost anything better, they shine the brightest at the end of the meal in fruity, springy desserts. Here, seven tried and true cherry pies, pastries and other sweets that can be made in a flash using this week’s Mad Genius Tip.
1. Cherry Hand Pies
Puff pastry makes quick and impressive work of these buttery, sweet cherry-filled hand pies.
2. Whole-Grain Cherry Crumble
At first glance, this appears to be a very classic cherry crumble, but there are three genius details that add layers of delicious flavor. First, the topping is made with whole wheat flour for a rustic character; second, a splash of balsamic vinegar adds complexity; third, grated pear is mixed into the filling.
3. Sour Cherry Turnovers
Small, juicy, rube-red cherries are excellent for baking because, unlike sweet cherries, they retain their shape as they cook.
4. Cherry Clafoutis
Almond flour gives this custardy French dessert terrific texture.
5. Cherry-Berry Pie
This classic early summer pie features sweet cherries along with raspberries and blueberries.
6. Cherries Poached in Red Wine with Mascarpone Cream
Thick mascarpone cheese mixed with honey makes a luscious topping for poached cherries. You can serve the dessert either warm or cold.
7. Cherry Lambic Crisps
Kriek—lambic beer fermented with cherries—intensifies the fruit flavors of the fresh dark cherries and dried sour cherries in these crisps.