- 5 Clever Ways to Cook with Grapes
- 3 Genius Ideas for Using Hot Sauce
- DIY Cured Salmon
- All You Need for a Boozy and Bacony DIY Brunch
- 7 Irresistible Rhubarb Desserts
- 7 Killer Spanish-Style Barbecue Dishes
- 7 Gorgeous Summer Salads
- 5 Fast Fruit Desserts You Should Definitely Grill Right Now
- 6 Foods for Dedicated Garlic Lovers
- 5 Best-Ever Summer Brunch Cocktails
Bitter kale is great with pungent, umami-rich and creamy dressings.
Bitter kale is great with pungent, umami-rich and creamy dressings. Here are six to try.
1. Creamy garlic dressing.
Caesar is probably kale’s most popular dressing. For a healthier take, puree roasted garlic with vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire and a little mayo.
2. Chile-lime vinaigrette.
Channel your inner Bobby Flay, making a spicy salad dressing sweetened with a bit of honey.
3. Peanut-sesame dressing.
Bitter kale is tamed with this umami-rich nutty dressing.
Make kale “ceviche,” massaging it with lemon juice and salt and marinating until “cooked.”
Whisk miso with vinegar, sesame seeds, oil and brown sugar for a sweet-and-savory dressing.
6. Feta dressing.
Kale can handle intense dressings such as this one, made with feta and oregano.
Kristin Donnelly is a former Food & Wine editor and author of the forthcoming The Modern Potluck (Clarkson Potter, 2016). She is also the cofounder of Stewart & Claire, an all-natural line of lip balms made in Brooklyn.