- Instead of Soup, Serve Hors d'Oeuvres
- 6 Ways to Make Stuffing
- 3 Easy Thanksgiving Hors d'Oeuvres to Make (Plus 3 to Buy)
- How to Make Deviled Eggs Even Better
- Anthony Bourdain's Three-Day Thanksgiving Strategy
- 3 Thanksgiving Pie Problems, Solved
- The Best Way to Peel Apples for Pie
- How to Give Your Pecan Pie a Makeover
- 5 Ways to Amp Up Any Gravy
- 10 Latke Upgrades
For some people, a whole roast turkey can be the low point of the meal—bland, hard to cook perfectly—but there are satisfying alternatives, like roast Cornish hens or pimentón-spiced turkey breast. Read more >
F&W gathers ideas for every part of the meal from some of the best, most creative cooks we know.
For some people, a whole roast turkey can be the low point of the meal—bland, hard to cook perfectly—but there are satisfying alternatives, like roast Cornish hens or pimentón-spiced turkey breast. Here are three genius recipes from chef Maria Helm Sinskey, plus smoked and cured main courses to buy from top suppliers.
Alternative Main Course Recipes
Main Courses to Buy
Cornmeal-Crusted Pork Ribs. This cured and cooked, eight-bone center-cut pork loin roast has a golden crust that seals in the juices. $105; realcanadianbacon.com.
Smoked Turkey. This turkey is more succulent than others we sampled in the F&W Test Kitchen, with just the right amount of smokiness. From $80; nodinesmokehouse.com.
Cooked Ham. Smoking Goose's boneless "city" hams from Indiana are hot-smoked over hickory and fruit woods. From $8.50 per lb; smokinggoose.com.