- 7 Brunchy Whiskey Drinks for Moms Who Want Something Stronger Than a Mimosa
- 4 Outside-the-Box Margaritas
- 8 Cocktails to Try If You Love a Margarita
- 5 Ways to Drink Your Turmeric, Super Ingredient of the Moment
- 7 Instant Sparkling Wine Cocktails
- 4 Sage Beers to Drink This Fall
- Best Pumpkin Beers and Cocktails
- 5 Martinis for Serious New Year's Eve Celebrations
- 11 Crazy-Easy Thanksgiving Cocktails
- Beyond Provence: 4 Under-the-Radar French Rosé Regions
Here, six smoky cocktails that are perfect for a spooky party.
The Rusty Nail may be the easiest Scotch-based cocktail to make this Halloween (watch mixologist Jim Meehan make one here), but it’s not the only Scotch drink that’s Halloween-appropriate. Here, six more smoky cocktails that are perfect for a spooky party.
1. Blood & Sand
This classic, rust-colored cocktail is fruity and only faintly smoky—it’s great for people who aren’t sure they like Scotch.
2. Smoky Apple
Not to be confused with the candy–sweet apple martini, this cocktail combines rich blended Scotch with apple schnapps and spicy Angostura bitters.
3. Lord Bullingdon’s Revenge
Inspired by a duel in William Thackeray’s The Luck of Barry Lyndon, this cocktail uses Scotch to represent the smoke from old-style pistols. The Chartreuse represents the medicinal herbs that were used to heal the wounded.
4. The Bloody Macallan
Rich, smooth and strangely exotic, this cocktail blends 12- or 18-year-old The Macallan single malt Scotch with tomato juice.
5. Blackened Orange
Amaro Nonino gives this super-intense drink a rich bitter-orange flavor, plus hints of licorice and herbs. Party bonus: It’s garnished with a flamed orange twist.
6. Sangre de Toro
The name of this cocktail translates to “bull’s blood.” It showcases sherry and two Scotches: a smooth blended one and a pungent, peaty bottling from Islay.