- 9 Brunch Appetizers for a Blow-Out Weekend Bash
- 5 Clever Ways to Cook with Grapes
- 3 Genius Ideas for Using Hot Sauce
- DIY Cured Salmon
- All You Need for a Boozy and Bacony DIY Brunch
- 7 Irresistible Rhubarb Desserts
- 7 Killer Spanish-Style Barbecue Dishes
- 7 Gorgeous Summer Salads
- 5 Fast Fruit Desserts You Should Definitely Grill Right Now
- 6 Foods for Dedicated Garlic Lovers
For chef Michael Symon, nothing tops the wood oven-roasted chicken at Jonathan Waxman’s Barbuto and the legendary roast chicken with bread salad at San Francisco’s Zuni Café. Here, recipes for those iconic roast chickens and others.
In this week’s Chefs in Conversation video, Kristen Kish and Michael Symon chat about their absolute, hands-down favorite roast chickens in the country. For Symon, nothing tops the wood oven-roasted chicken at Jonathan Waxman’s Barbuto and the legendary roast chicken with bread salad at San Francisco’s Zuni Café. Here, recipes for those iconic roast chickens and others.
1. Roast Chicken with Bread Salad
The reason Zuni Café’s roast chicken is so good is because the chefs only use small free-range birds, which are salted for 24 hours to allow the seasoning to penetrate deeply. The high roasting temperature means supremely crisp skin.
2. Chicken al Forno with Salsa Verde
Jonathan Waxman has been famous for roast chicken since the 1980s. The secret to his insanely juicy, crisp-skinned chicken is nearly constant basting.
3. Uncle Boon’s Thai Roast Chicken
Manhattan’s Uncle Boon's is renowned for its rotisserie chicken. But the birds are equally delicious roasted on a rack in a home oven. Here’s what makes them so good: They’re brined, then rubbed with a combination of coconut cream and kaffir lime before roasting, yielding golden, crackly skin.
4. Herb-Butter Roast Chicken with Tuscan-Style Bread Salad
Every glowing review of this New York restaurant included praise for the incredible roast chicken. It’s served with a homey bread salad, which smartly includes seared chicken livers and wing meat, which bring all the flavors of the dish together.
5. Spice-Rubbed Roast Chicken with Two Sauces
The menu at Shaun Doty’s chicken-focused restaurant in Atlanta, Bantam + Biddy, revolves around his rotisserie chicken. Coated in a lemony fennel-seed rub, the recipe is just as good in a home oven.
6. Julia’s Favorite Roast Chicken
Julia Child’s classic roast chicken is pretty much foolproof. It’s seasoned inside and out. The cavity is packed with sautéed vegetables, lemon slices and fresh herbs. The outside is rubbed with butter.