- A Sweet, Italian Liqueur for the Holidays
- Emeril Lagasse’s Favorite American Pinot Noirs
- 6 Beers That Are Amazing with Asian Food
- 9 Ways to Make a Manhattan
- The Best Cherry for a Manhattan
- 4 Ways to Upgrade a Shandy
- A Funkier Glass of Sparkling
- 8 Tropical Island Rum Cocktails
- If a Rye Beer and an IPA Had a Delicious Baby
- Crave-Worthy French Cider for Fall
Here are six easy-drinking cocktails to make with eau-de-vie.
After a night on the line, most chefs have a go-to drink, from cheap beer to a house bartender’s expert cocktail. Here, star chefs reveal their favorite drinks.
At the Restaurant at Meadowood in Napa Valley, chef Chris Kostow drinks local—super local. “We do a really good eau-de-vie here that we make with apples from the garden,” he says. “Straight up, really cold, that’s pretty good drinking—like Napa Valley moonshine.”
Eau-de-vie, a clear fruit brandy, is a powerful spirit that packs a serious punch. For those who don’t care to drink it straight like Kostow, here are six easy-drinking cocktails to make with eau-de-vie.
1. Pear Brandy Kami Kazi
Pear eau-de-vie gives this citrusy cocktail a nice pear flavor without watering it down.
2. Gin Blossom
Bartender Julie Reiner likes to pair intense apricot eau-de-vie with aromatic spirits likes juniper-scented gin.
3. Mr. Stair
This savory pear sour also includes St-Germain for a nice floral finish.
4. Brasserie Lebbe
This fizzy cocktail is like a pear tart in a glass.
Upgrade a mimosa with apricot eau-de-vie and a couple of dashes of orange bitters.
6. August Collins
This fizzy summer drink features the unlikely combination of Scotch, raspberries and pear eau-de-vie.