- 5 Cheesy French Onion Soups
- 8 Soup Recipes You Should Definitely Batch
- 6 Savory Ways to Use Whipped Cream
- 5 Fall Recipes to Make with Both Apple and Pumpkin
- 11 Fall Soups You Can Make in a Blender
- 7 Creamy Soups That Don't Actually Contain Cream
- How to Taco Anything
- 15 Ways to Eat Potatoes for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner
- 5 Silky "Cream Of" Soups
- Green Foods To Eat So You Don't Get Pinched
Bagels on a weekend morning are a time-honored tradition for many. Take the meal up a notch by adding some homemade cured fish to the spread.
Bagels on a weekend morning are a time-honored tradition for many. Take the meal up a notch by adding some homemade cured fish to the spread. And if you really want to go all the way and have a totally from-scratch bagel experience, try making your own bagels.
Here, six terrific cured fish recipes that would all be amazing on a bagel.
1. Smoked and Cured Salmon with Orange Zest
Cold-smoking is not an option for most home cooks. Instead, this recipe calls for quickly smoking the fish, then curing it like gravlax.
2. Grappa-Cured Striped Bass
Grappa’s slight earthiness and high alcohol make it perfect for curing fish.
3. Salmon Gravlax
Andrew Zimmern’s stellar gravlax is cured with salt, sugar, dill, parsley, red pepper, lemon zest and aquavit.
4. Pastrami-Spiced Gravlax
This salmon is delicious savory, but it’s also slightly sweet from the raw sugar in the cure and the molasses in the glaze.
5. Smoked Trout
Grilling trout with indirect heat gives it a fantastic smoky flavor.
6. Mezcal-Cured Salmon
Instead of smoking salmon, chef Alex Stupak ingeniously adds smokiness with chipotles and mezcal.