- Why It's Never Too Early to Make Gravy
- 13 Best Bread Tips
- Two Black Belts in the Kitchen
- 3 No-Cook Pantry Staples to Get You Through the Summer
- 5 Winter Cocktails That Will Make You Forget How Freezing It Is Outside
- Juice Like a Pro
- The Top 3 Reasons Food Businesses Fail
- Brussels Sprouts: Good for More Than Powering Christmas Lights
- How Mixologist Dave Arnold Makes the Perfect Gin and Tonic (And How You Can Too)
- Top 10 Crimes Against Pie
Homemade egg sandwiches can be so much better.
Picture your basic fast-food breakfast sandwich: There’s the flimsy approximation of an English muffin, the stiff egg disk, the American cheese and the too–salty sausage patty. Those not-so-great components can add up to satisfaction on the right hungover morning, but homemade egg sandwiches can be so much better.
Here are five steps to giving your breakfast sandwich a makeover:
1. Rethink the bread. Replace the muffin with a homemade biscuit made using F&W’s Mad Genius Tip for extra-flaky biscuits.
2. Don’t squander the yolk. Scrambled eggs are well and good, but the runny yolk of a perfectly fried egg is magic in a breakfast sandwich.
3. Change up your cheese. Use cheddar cheese instead of American cheese. It may not be as melt-able, but it’s much more flavorful.
4. Upgrade your pork. Instead of a sausage patty, top the sandwich with salty, deliciously meaty country ham.
5. Add jam. A touch of raspberry jams adds sweet complexity.
Get the recipe for the best-ever biscuit breakfast sandwich.