- 8 Noodle Dishes for Chinese New Year
- 9 Brunch Appetizers for a Blow-Out Weekend Bash
- 5 Clever Ways to Cook with Grapes
- 3 Genius Ideas for Using Hot Sauce
- DIY Cured Salmon
- All You Need for a Boozy and Bacony DIY Brunch
- 7 Irresistible Rhubarb Desserts
- 7 Killer Spanish-Style Barbecue Dishes
- 7 Gorgeous Summer Salads
- 5 Fast Fruit Desserts You Should Definitely Grill Right Now
You don't need to be a carnivore to eat a steak.
You don’t need to be a meat-eater to enjoy a gorgeous steak—though it won't be made of beef. From charred tofu to thick, juicy cauliflower, here are our best recipes for satisfying, vegetarian steak stand-ins.
1. Mushroom Steak with Lentils, Smoked Paprika and Garlic Cream
Here, chef Richard Carstens treats mushrooms like steak, brushing them with a teriyaki glaze and roasting them "medium-rare," before serving.
2. Grilled Tofu Steaks with Piquillo Salsa Verde
Firm tofu gets nicely smoky on the grill. It’s excellent with this tangy salsa prepared with piquillo peppers, capers and parsley.
3. Butternut Squash Steaks au Poivre
In a vegetarian play on steak au poivre, F&W's Justin Chapple swaps in butternut squash steaks for the beef and serves them with the go-to steakhouse green, sautéed spinach.
4. Cauliflower Steaks with Spiced Corn
Eat this cauliflower filet with a steak knife; it’s surprisingly hefty.
5. Grilled Watermelon Steaks with Pistachios and Micro Greens
Sweet watermelon gets deliciously caramelized on the grill.