- 15 Reasons to Use Your Slow Cooker in January
- 7 Ways to Use Ketchup
- 8 Ways to Use Oranges
- 9 Ways to Use Artichokes
- 8 Ways to Use Asparagus
- 9 Ways To Use Potatoes
- How to Make Your House a Waffle House on Valentine's Day
- 9 Ways to Flavor Braised Kale
- 10 Ways to Use Kale
- How to Pair Kale Salad with Wine
If you’ve never heard of mooncakes, the baked pastry that is typically given as a gift during the Chinese Mid-Autumn Festival, now is the perfect time to seek them out. The festival falls on the 15th day of the eighth month, which, according to our handy Chinese lunar calendar, is today! So laugh it up like chef Yip Wing Wah (left). Chef Yip is The Peninsula Hotels' dim sum ambassador and he recently showed us how to make the sugary calorie bombs on his first US mooncake tour. Here, bizarre mooncake trivia to prepare for celebrations this week.
1. A 4-inch mooncake has roughly 1,000 calories; a Big Mac contains 550.
2. You can buy mooncakes for puppies in Hong Kong.
3. Häagen-Dazs makes an ice cream mooncake.
4. Luxury mooncakes encrusted in gold and stuffed with shark fin have been used to bribe corrupt officials
5. Chef Yip makes 400,000 mooncakes each festival and sells out in one day.