- How Mise en Place Can Organize Your Life Outside the Kitchen
- Regarding Milk & Honey House Rules (or, the Sasha Petraske Finishing School for Patrons)
- Ansel Adams Liked His Eggs Poached in Beer
- Fish Fin Chips and More Tips from Donald Link
- Bountiful's Rebellious Kale and Chicken Egg Rolls
- The All-Chocolate Cookbook from Brooklyn Mavericks
- Cookies (and Quinoa) for Breakfast
- Pie Lessons from Brooklyn’s Baking Stars
- 4 Great Cauliflower Ideas from Harold Dieterle's New Book
- The Season's Best Book for Anyone with a Sweet Tooth
In pastry chef Johnny Iuzzini's new cookbook Sugar Rush: Master Tips, Techniques, and Recipes for Sweet Baking, he reinvents classic recipes with exciting flavor combinations. Here's a sneak peak at some of Johnny's incredible flavor mashups.
Pastry chef Johnny Iuzzini loves traditional desserts almost as much as he loves reinventing them. In his awesome new cookbook Sugar Rush: Master Tips, Techniques, and Recipes for Sweet Baking (which is out now!), he offers aspiring bakers classic recipes and then suggests brilliant twists for transforming them into something exciting and new. In addition to nearly 150 recipes, from custards to sticky buns, the book is filled with informative how-to guides and lists of baking essentials. Here's a sneak peak at just a few of the incredible flavor mashups from Sugar Rush.
1. Strawberry-Tomato Crème Brûlée.
Johnny blends sweet strawberries with ripe tomatoes to make an unbelievable compote, which he tops with a classic vanilla custard.
2. Lemongrass-Lime Semifreddo.
Smashed lemongrass and finely grated lime zest flavor the creamy base of this otherwise traditional dessert. If that's not enough to make your mouth water, Johnny's semifreddo is topped with a crispy chocolate shell.
3. Roasted White Chocolate Panna Cotta.
Roasting white chocolate makes it silky and caramel like. Johnny blends the roasted chocolate with milk and gelatin, then chills it until firm.
4. Miso Buttercream Frosting.
Johnny loves to include salty ingredients in his sweet desserts. He whips umami-packed white miso into plain buttercream.
5. Smoky Chocolate-Ginger Ganache Tart.
Johnny infuses cream with roasted black tea and fresh ginger to make his decadent chocolate tart.