- 7 Best Parfaits to Show Off Summer Fruit
- 5 Brilliant Ways to Use Feta for Summer
- 15 August Bucket List Recipes to Prolong Summer
- 10 Recipes to Celebrate Julia Child's Birthday
- 10 Fruit Vinaigrettes for People Who Hate Fruit Vinaigrettes
- 7 Ways to Have a Champagne-Soaked New Year's Eve
- 8 Delicious Grains and Greens Recipes for Thanksgiving
- 7 Ways to Use Leftover Mashed Potatoes
- 11 Gooey Cheese-Stuffed Recipes
- 9 Best Cinnamon Brunch Recipes
Is there anything more comforting on a chilly day than a steaming bowlful of French onion soup topped with a gooey layer of melted cheese? Yes, there is: five bowlfuls.
Here, five incredible recipes for cheesy French onion soup.
1. Truffle-Infused French Onion Soup
Star chef Michael Mina's decadent soup features gooey, truffle-infused pecorino cheese.
2. French Onion Soup
What's the secret to this hearty soup? If you make the beef broth a day in advance and refrigerate it, it's supereasy to skim off the cold, solidified fat, and you'll have a soup with a clearer onion flavor.
3. Gratinée des Halles
F&W chef-in-residence Andrew Zimmern's recipe—bright with sherry vinegar and thick with onions—is a perfect, buttery version of the classic.
4. French Onion Soup
A great melting cheese that hardens around the bowl into seductively crispy bits is a must for this classic.
5. French (Canadian) Onion Soup
French-Canadian chef Hugue Dufour makes a deliciously smoky pork broth for his take on French onion soup.