- KitchenAid’s New All-Black Stand Mixer Is Insanely Gorgeous
- Calorie Restriction Could Help You Live Longer. Should You Actually Try It?
- What to Do if You Think You've Eaten Recalled Food
- How Chefs Are Cooking with Pickle Brine
- This Omelet Is How Anthony Bourdain Resets After Travel
- 5 Healthy Make-Ahead Breakfasts
- In Turkey, Wine Producers Face a Turning Point
- What's the Difference Between Ragù and Ragout?
- 9 Best Gooey Caramel Holiday Desserts
- This Summer's Cookbook Bucket List
Here, four oil options and the best vinaigrettes to make with them.
A basic vinaigrette consists simply of oil and vinegar. There are lots of ways to change the flavors—add mustard or garlic or soy sauce—but switching to a different oil can be a brilliant way to alter a vinaigrette’s essence. Here, four oil options and the best vinaigrettes to make with them.
Everyone’s go-to oil is a go-to for a reason. Opt for a flavorful extra-virgin olive oil.
Dead–Simple Balsamic Vinaigrette
This easy vinaigrette, made with fresh oregano and minced garlic, is great on any and all salad greens.
Start with this basic dressing, then customize it by adding fresh herbs or lemon juice and zest.
Nutty, toasty hazelnut oil gives vinaigrettes incredible richness.
This fall-flavored vinaigrette is delicious on tender cranberry beans.
Here’s a full-bodied vinaigrette that can stand up to heartier salads like those made with lentils.
Just a little bit of sesame oil goes a long way. It’s best in Asian-inflected dressings.
This super-simple dressing made with ginger and fresh lemon juice is perfect on stir-fries.
Creamy and packed with umami flavors, this vinaigrette is good on anything from salads to grains to meat.
Walnuts are a classic topping for salads, but their buttery nuttiness is also great concentrated in a oil and mixed into a vinaigrette.
This vinaigrette gets a double-dose of walnuts from the walnut oil and coarsely chopped toasted walnuts.
Creamy Walnut Vinaigrette
It’s the perfect dressing for a smoked trout salad.
Video: Watch how cookbook author Melissa Clark makes the perfect vinaigrette.
We want to reveal the most ambitious Ultimate F&W Recipe Guide yet! From roast chicken to lasagna, we'd showcase over 1000 dishes and cocktails, each with genius how-to tips, chef upgrades and input from readers like you! Show your interest by clicking through to this link.