- Why It's Never Too Early to Make Gravy
- 3 No-Cook Pantry Staples to Get You Through the Summer
- The 4 Things Stephanie Izard Taught Her Husband About Grilling (And The 4 Things He Taught Her About Craft Beer)
- Incredible Christmas Cookie Gifts Tags
- How to Taste Wine Like a Pro
- How to Use Butter Better
- Real Names of Wine
- How to Make Marshmallows Like Cronut Master Dominique Ansel
- David Chang's Clever Thanksgiving Leftovers Recipes
- The Only Vinaigrette You'll Ever Need
Picture your basic fast-food breakfast sandwich: There’s the flimsy approximation of an English muffin, the stiff egg disk, the American cheese and the too–salty sausage patty. Those not-so-great components can add up to satisfaction on the right hungover morning, but homemade egg sandwiches can be so much better.
Here are five steps to giving your breakfast sandwich a makeover:
1. Rethink the bread. Replace the muffin with a homemade biscuit made using F&W’s Mad Genius Tip for extra-flaky biscuits.
2. Don’t squander the yolk. Scrambled eggs are well and good, but the runny yolk of a perfectly fried egg is magic in a breakfast sandwich.
3. Change up your cheese. Use cheddar cheese instead of American cheese. It may not be as melt-able, but it’s much more flavorful.
4. Upgrade your pork. Instead of a sausage patty, top the sandwich with salty, deliciously meaty country ham.
5. Add jam. A touch of raspberry jams adds sweet complexity.
Get the recipe for the best-ever biscuit breakfast sandwich.