- A Crowdfunded Locavore Snack Bar
- The Searzall Takes on Thanksgiving by Blowtorch, Crisps Pizza Like a Champ
- Weird and Wonderful Crowdfunding Food Projects
- The United Skillets of America
- Kickstarting Civil Eats
- Gluten-Free Goes Glossy with GFF Magazine
- How to Make Scrambled Eggs Without Cracking Any Shells
- Short Stack Editions: Beautiful Crowdfunded Mini Cookbooks
- How a Chef and an Ichthyologist Crowdfunded the Ultimate Sustainable Seafood Market
Breaking Kickstarter records, this Rust Belt chef hopes to use the power of food to revive Braddock, Pennsylvania.
Kevin Sousa might be America's most philanthropic, grassroots chef. The Pittsburgh-based cook, whose mini empire includes hot dog mecca Station Street, has a big goal. He wants to revive the nearby town of Braddock by launching a restaurant in a former car dealership, using $310,000 he raised via a record-breaking Kickstarter campaign. Superior Motors, opening next year, will offer agricultural and culinary training for 100 at-risk teens starting this summer. Sousa wants Superior Motors to become a model for other Rust Belt communities. Meanwhile, he's working on the menu, like salt-roasted cauliflower with crispy chicken skin. 1211 Braddock Ave.; superiormotors15104.com.