- 7 Expert Taco Tips from Aarón Sánchez
- The Ultimate Make-Ahead Derby Party Menu
- 5 Recipes to Celebrate National Raisin Day
- Make Chef Kenny Gilbert’s Multipurpose Florida BBQ Sauce
- 3 Ways to Make Hot Wings Healthier
- What to Drink with Chicken Wings
- 9 Incredible Ice Cream Treats to Try Before Summer's Over
- 5 Genius Cooking Tips From Chef Moms
- 8 Strawberry Varieties to Try This Summer
- 6 No-Fuss Ways to Preserve Summer Produce
The unstoppable sandwich trend meets the revered Southern biscuit, and a new style of restaurant is born.
New York City
The biscuits at 24-hour Empire Biscuit are "sturdy and fortifying," says co-owner Jonathan Price. "Late at night, drunk dudes will order three fried-chicken biscuit sandwiches drenched with hot sauce." 198 Ave. A; empirebiscuit.com.
Biscuit Head specializes in cat-head biscuits, a craggy and crunchy Southern style. 733 Haywood Rd.; biscuitheads.com.
Jacksonville Beach, FL
A touch of maple syrup is the secret ingredient in Maple Street Biscuit Company's all-butter recipe. 410 N. Third St.; maplestreetbiscuits.com.
Bang Bang Pie & Biscuits' sour cream-based biscuits (left), baked hourly, are distinctly non-Southern: dense and doughy, not flaky. 2051 N. California Ave.; bangbangpie.com.
A new Pine State Biscuits outpost serves sandwiches like the Wedgie: blue cheese-drenched iceberg, fried chicken and fried green tomato. 1100 SE Division St.; pinestatebiscuits.com.