- Why You Should Make a Pizza Pilgrimage to Portland
- Pastry Chef Laura Sawicki's Grown-Up Take on Toast with Sprinkles
- This Umami-Rich Pasta is Alive with Sourdough Starter
- MoPho's Incredible Spicy-Sweet Clams are South by Southeast Asia
- The Big Ideas Packed Into The Catbird Seat's Little Lemon Cake
- The Magical Bread Course at Trentina in Cleveland
- Alex Stupak's Pickled Tongue and Fried-Mayo Tacos
- These Spicy-Sticky Wings Are a San Francisco Classic
- Introducing the New Pâté Melt Sandwich
- An L.A. Chef's Stunning Lobster Roll
This smoky, frothy, spicy, sour and salty cocktail-snack hybrid is served on the half shell. Here's how that intricate slurp comes together.
Matthew Biancaniello isn't so concerned with pairing cocktails and food—he would rather mix them up. The recipes he creates at Plan Check gastropub in Los Angeles defy strict menu categorization. For instance, the self-styled cocktail chef (he even has a hybrid title) recently introduced Walk the Brine: a bar snack and a shot of booze in a single slurp. Biancaniello starts with a Washington state oyster on the half shell, pours smoky Benesin mezcal over it, adds a wheatgrass-elderflower foam, and places sour pickled button mushrooms, spicy arugula flowers and vibrant mustard flowers on top. "People tell me they've never had anything like it," Biancaniello says. "That's my favorite thing to hear." 351 N. Fairfax Ave.; plancheck.com.