- 5 Things to Drink in Jamaica
- 7 Low Alcohol Cocktails To Drink All Day Long on Thanksgiving
- Impressive New Single Malts for the Scotch Lover on Your Gift List
- The Best American Hard Ciders for Thanksgiving Dinner
- How to Transform Thanksgiving Leftovers into Boozy Cocktails
- Tips for Perfect Pairings and More
- Secrets to Drinking Like You're in Havana
- 7 Fall-Spiced Booze Infusions
- A New Scottish Gin Hits the Right Classic Notes
- How to Fix the Amaretto Sour
The folks at San Francisco’s week-old bar Dirty Habit (formerly Fifth Floor) are doing a lot of things right. They’re pouring rare whiskies, they’re offering year-round outdoor seating on a beautiful patio and they’re attracting the city’s techies by providing electrical outlets all over the place. But the greatest thing they’re doing is serving lunchboxes packed with something even better than a PB&J with the crusts cut off: alcohol.
Somewhere between a bowl of punch and a Lunchable lies Dirty Habit’s Get Me a Juice Box. It contains two canned beers, a thermos filled with a cocktail, and a snack. Bar manager Brian Means first had the idea during a very long day of work when he forgot to eat. “I thought, I need to start bring a lunchbox like the old burly construction guys that would work up on the girders,” he says. “Then I thought, If I was working up there I would want a beer. So we made it happen.”
Right now, the thermos is filled with a hot toddy made with Buffalo Trace bourbon and ginger syrup in place of honey. The beers are PBRs. And the snack is a bag of mixed nuts tossed with harissa and paprika. The cocktail, beers and snacks will change with the season to include items like 21st Amendment’s Hell or High Watermelon wheat beer and house-made chicharrónes. Just like mom use to pack.