- 7 Superfast Fried Game Day Desserts
- 10 Mess-Free Recipes for Baked Wings
- Go Beyond Chocolate-Dipped Strawberries
- How to Make Your Own Cheese Puffs
- Top 10 Romantic Breakfast Recipes
- 5 Recipes for DIY Onion Rings
- 9 Ways to Use the Leftover Celery from Your Chicken Wing Platter
- 5 Romantic Meals You Can Make in a Slow Cooker
- 9 Ways to Eat Lobster Every Day
- Your Super Bowl Needs a Chili Bar
After mastering the art of peeling hard-boiled eggs with a spoon, you’ll no doubt be left with a mountain of eggs. Of course, there are always deviled eggs. But for those craving a seriously satisfying meal there’s something else: sandwiches. Underappreciated by many, hard-boiled eggs are an amazing sandwich filler. Just ask Caroline Fidanza, whose Brooklyn sandwich spot Saltie features them in the Scuttlebutt, a boldly flavored vegetarian powerhouse of a sandwich (left) that offsets the eggs’ creaminess with tangy pickled vegetables, black olives and capers. Fidanza calls the sandwich a “show stealer.”
Here, nine incredible sandwiches that move hard-boiled eggs to center stage.
1. Bagna Cauda Salad Sandwiches
This sandwich takes bagna cauda—the warm Italian anchovy-and-garlic vegetable dip—and turns it into a hearty dressing for greens, which are mixed with hard-boiled eggs and avocado and piled onto grilled bread.
2. Israeli Roast Eggplant, Hummus and Pickle Sandwiches
At Butcher & Bee in Charleston, South Carolina, owner Michael Shemtov and chef Stuart Tracy prepare this messy, incredibly tasty vegetarian sandwich—called a sabich—with vegetables, sliced hard-cooked eggs, hummus, house-baked pita and herbs.
3. Hippie-Style Egg Salad Sandwiches
This egg salad is made with a number of surprise ingredients, including roasted sunflower seeds, sunflower sprouts and finely grated carrot.
4. Chicken Pan Bagnat
Literally “bathed bread” in the ancient dialect of Provence, pan bagnat delivers meat, bread and salad in one handful.
5. Hard-Boiled Egg Sandwiches with Anchovies and Capers
These sandwiches are simple but they pack a flavorful punch with salty anchovies, tangy capers and crisp lettuce.
6. Curried-Egg Tea Sandwiches
Traditional egg salad sandwiches get a delicious, exotic twist from orange zest and curry powder.
7. Egg Salad with Capers and Spinach on Toasted Brioche
This elegant take on an egg salad sandwich calls for buttery brioche, spinach and Champagne vinegar. To make it even more luxe, add white truffle oil.
8. Smoked Salmon and Chopped Egg Sandwiches
A perfect brunch dish, this sandwich combines smoked salmon with hard-boiled eggs, spicy horseradish and crunchy sprouts.
9. Steak-and-Egg Salad Sandwiches
Made up of two great sandwich fillings wrapped in soft pita, this concept from chef David Burke pairs creamy deviled egg salad with thin grilled beef.