- St. Lucia Guide: Where to Find Perfect Poached Eggs and Gwyneth Paltrow's Favorite Salad
- NYC Guide: Where to Find Cult Sushi and Mind-Blowing Beer
- Honolulu Guide: High-End Dining and Chinatown Shopping
- Singapore Guide: Where to Find Snails with Bone Marrow and Beef Heart Salad
- Shanghai Guide: Where to Find Amazing Roast Duck, House-Made Tofu and Borscht
- London Guide: Where to Find Elegant Indian Food and Melting Beef Candles
- Cape Town Guide: Where to Find Gazelle with Porcini and Asian-Inspired Tapas
- Raleigh & Durham Guide: Amazing Barbecue and Pig's Head Croquettes
F&W's travel experts searched the globe for the year's best eating experiences. Here, six essential spots in Mexico City, plus its world-class art museum and the food conference that's drawing star chefs from all over the world.
Husband-and-wife team Justin Ermini and Mayra Victoria bring a farm-fresh sensibility (sea bass with bean stew, left) to the Las Alcobas Hotel restaurant. Presidente Masaryk 390; anatolkitchen.com
The brainchild of local food writer Alonso Ruvalcaba, this spot specializes in spicy, crispy chicken, roasted in a custom-made oven. Zamora 33; bretonrosticeros.com
Mezcal comes with homemade salts (celery, basil) at this food-centric bar. The salsa, served with the braised beef, is made with a rare tomatillo from nearby Malinalco. Schiller 333.
The three young owners of this food truck rethink street-food classics, stuffing gorditas with crab, for example. primariomx.com
The locals love sushi. At Rokai, the seafood (chocolate clams from Ensenada) couldn't be fresher, but one of the best dishes is sake-marinated fried chicken. Río Ebro 87.
This cozy restaurant pays homage to moles from Oaxaca's Sierra Norte region. Ingredients (like heirloom-corn masa) and mezcals are sourced from small Oaxacan producers. Colima 268; yuban.mx.
Mesamérica Food Conference
Star chefs, like Mario Batali, and amateur foodies alike now come to Mexico City for the influential Mesamérica food conference (mesamerica.mx). Where will they eat? "A former cook from my restaurant is staging at the modern Mexican place Quintonil," says Vinny Dotolo of L.A.'s Animal. "I'm excited to try the seven-course tasting menu." Newton 55; quintonil.com
Mexico City is now home to Museo Jumex, one of the world's greatest contemporary art collections. The David Chipperfield building is a draw in itself. fundacionjumex.org.