- A Red to Drink with Porchetta
- A California Wine with Rhône-Inspired Finesse
- 3 Cheap Wines to Pair with Salads
- A Loire Chenin Blanc that Over-delivers
- 3 Bottles From France’s Best Value Region
- 3 Wines to Pair with Tomatoes
- A Côtes du Rhône for Stews and Roasts
- A Malbec That Speaks French
- A Sancerre Stunt Double
- 5 Wines to Pair with Roast Chicken
Here, wine experts reveal their favorite bottles costing less than $17. Many of the selections are lesser known but absolutely worth the search.
Who: Mike Oien, wine director and manager, Big Nose Full Body, Brooklyn
What: 2012 Zestos Garnacha
Why: "Under $13 is the bread-and-butter of our business, so we're always glad when we can deliver a wine for that price that we really love. We just got in a cool wine from Spain that retails for $11. It's an old-vine Grenache from Madrid—a place you don't see wine coming from very often in the US. It has a little bit of that New World fruit sensibility, but it's not over the top. It's a little peppery with a bit of cherry. It's a pretty versatile everyday wine."
Kristin Donnelly is a former Food & Wine editor and cofounder of Stewart & Claire, an all-natural line of lip balms made in Brooklyn.